Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Day 11 - Stranger #12

Oh no! Woke up late for work so that meant I need to take a cab. This cab driver had fm98.5 on then, and he purposefully turned down the sound for me. I told him, it is ok, you can still keep it on. And I took this chance to talk to him. I asked him how long he had being driving. He answered that as long as my age. Huh… I asked him so about 30 over years. He said No.. 27 years already. Haha, I laughed cause he thought I looked like I am only about 27 years old? Anyway, this was good enough to make my day.

He is really a very simple taxi uncle; he has 2 children, 27 and 22 years old. And the younger child will be going back to school. So I guess he needs to drive for a few more years to retire. I think he was in a rather nostalgic mood then. He shared with me how cheap it was to take cab in the 70s and 80s. He started to drive the cab when the meter charge was only $1.20. And now I looked at the meter to remind myself, it’s about $2.80 (depending on the cab you take). Last time, he ever needed to drive cab, which don’t have air-conditioner. So I ask him if it was easier to earn a living then or now? He said it is the same. Ok, I guess he is one taxi uncle contented with any situation he is put in.

You can find out various taxi’s charges here:
http://taxisingapore.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment